Saturday, September 12, 2015

Weekend in Maryland


One of my favorite places in the U.S. is Maryland! My family moved out to Maryland for my junior year of high school. We only had one year in the state but it quickly became a favorite of mine. I loved that where we lived we were SO close to so much history. We lived only 20 minutes north of Washington DC, 3.5 hours down to Williamsburg VA, 30 minutes from Mt Vernon, and about 40 minutes to Annapolis. My family did a lot of traveling around during that year because we had to take advantage of the close proximity to so many neat places. 

When we found out McKay got this internship I immediately planned a weekend down to see old friends and sight-see around Maryland. It was fun to introduce McKay to a huge part of my life. I learned so much about myself being pushed way out of my comfort zones. I had to start over with making friends and it was hard, but I made some of the best connections. It let me know that maybe someday I would want to raise my kids on the east-coast. 

We stayed at the Johnson's and were so grateful that they would let us come crash in their basement. It was great to catch up with them and let McKay get to know a family that we did a lot with. Lewis loved watching their cat and would try to chase him. 

Saturday morning we got up early and headed down to DC. We visited the Holocaust Museum and saw all the main memorials. We also ran into the George Mason memorial on our way to see the Jefferson memorial and it was fun to learn about someone new. I need to do more research on him but he seems like a neat guy!







We even got to visit the exact place where McKay and I got engaged 3 years ago. Fun memory to re-live!

After a long day of walking around we went back to Maryland to meet up with my good friend Leila and her fiancé Thomas. I actually went to school with both Leila and Thomas so it was fun to catch up with them both and hear about their wedding plans. We went into Inner Harbor and ate at the fantastic Cheesecake Factory.





Sunday we got up and went over to visit the Davidson family. They were great neighbors to my family when we lived there and I babysat their two adorable little girls every week. I can't believe how fast their girls are growing up! It was fun to watch them with Lewis, they loved holding him and even made him a giant pit to play in full of stuffed animals. After church we just had a nice relaxed evening with the Johnson's.


Monday we headed into Annapolis for some more sight-seeing. It was pretty busy since it was Labor Day but we still really enjoyed it. We walked around the Naval Academy and some of local shops. Then we grabbed some seafood for lunch right on the water and took pictures with the all the sail boats. It is a gorgeous place! I could seriously have a house there someday. 





It was just a quick weekend trip but it was so great to be back in Maryland and introduce McKay and Lewis to so many wonderful people. Hopefully we will be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment