Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Birthday Festivities!


This last Thursday was my 25th birthday and McKay did a great job spoiling me. In my family birthdays are a pretty big deal, we love to celebrate them for a full week if possible :) My mom's birthday is two days before mine so we usually combine and celebrate for a long time together. It was kind of hard for us not to be together this birthday, but we will have to celebrate in August when we get back to Utah. 

Thursday I woke up to a fancy breakfast parfait and these cute signs hanging from the door frames of our apartment. McKay had written and drawn things that reminded me of some fun memories. He also left with me a scavenger hunt to complete while he was at work all day. I love his creativity with things like this, it was really fun to do. 




That night was the first BBQ that I was in charge of our church out here. It was a little stressful since 2 different grocery stores were sold out of hot dog buns, but I bought some deli rolls and called it good. I was kind of bummed that this BBQ fell on my birthday, but I decided to have a good attitude and just pretend this was my birthday party BBQ. That night after we got home and put Lewis to sleep I was super hungry so McKay indulged me and let me order dominoes pizza at 10:00pm. My pregnancy cravings are much like a teenage boy: pizza, pop tarts, cereal, ice cream, chips, etc. I do a pretty good job at not giving in to them that often but it was my birthday and that pizza tasted dang good!

Friday after McKay got off work at 1:00pm we left on a surprise adventure to a cute little cabin on a lake in Connecticut. It was so fun to have a little over night getaway in a beautiful place. We stayed at this cabin through Airbnb which was way slick to use. We had been wanting to try it for a while because we had heard lots of great things. We will definitely be using it again! 



The lake was gorgeous and so clear. They had kayaks, canoes, paddle boards and a paddle boat available to use which was fun. We went on multiple canoe rides together out on the lake. We played in the water and on their little private beach area. That water felt so good on this achy pregnant body! Lewis found some trucks that he was obsessed with. McKay and I decided that we would love a lake house someday. It was so quiet and peaceful. One house on the water had even built a pirate ship that they had floating by their dock, it was awesome! 




We drove 15 minutes to a small town diner for dinner. We learned about the New England clam chowder and how they have three options at most restaurants: a red, tomato based chowder; white, the typical cream based chowder; and clear, a broth base. When we got back to the cabin the fireflies were out and it was so fun to sit on the porch and watch them light up the trees around us. Those fireflies really are magical! 

When we got back to our apartment McKay gave me a Reece's pieces ice cream cake he got from the store! I have always wanted an ice cream cake for my birthday. Sadly this cake looked a lot better than it tasted, maybe next year we should try to make an ice cream pie haha. 


Thanks babe for everything! You sure know how to make a girl feel special. 


1 comment: